In the Journalism Program, which is offered in the summer only, UC Center Sacramento students gain the skills of a seasoned reporter while working 24-40 hours per week as interns for media organizations that report on California government and politics. For information, contact A.G. Block, program director, at (916) 445-7300, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
1. What we offer
- The skills and techniques necessary to write insightful and provocative stories.
- Opportunities to publish your work.
- Experience an intense, two-week reporter’s “boot camp.”
- Media credentials from the governor’s office and the Legislature.
- Academic credit that can be used toward graduation
2. COURSEWORK & INTERNSHIP (6 semester units/9 Quarter units total)
(A) Journalism 298: Journalism & Public Affairs (4 semester units): Although the program is designed for undergraduate students, participants will enroll as graduate students in UC Berkeley's Graduate School of Journalism for the summer. This is a two-part course that consists of the following:
- A intensive two-week summer "boot camp" where students learn what it takes to be a journalist.
- A seminar series that runs throughout the program where students can network with news organizations that cover local and statewide politics. Topics include source development, ethics, computer-assisted research, interview techniques/rules of engagement and more.
(B) Journalism 197: Internship (1-2 semester units): Embedded in a the same syllabus (the two courses parallel one another), this course is designed to give students credit for the 24-40 hours they work in their internships on a weekly basis.
3. Program dates & Application Deadlines
The general options are:
(A) Live with other students from the program. Contact Tien Yancy at email@example.com to set this up if this is your preferred method.
(B) Self-provided housing.
For detailed housing info, go here.
5. EXPLORE PAST INTERNSHIP PLACEMENTS
(A) Check out the student-run Journalism Facebook Page to read articles written by past journalism students.
(B) See the past internship placements listed on the bottom of this page.
6. PROGRAM COSTS, FINANCIAL AID & SCHOLARSHIPS
(A) Costs: The total cost may vary depending on housing arrangements.
The estimated program costs listed below are based on California residency. Non-Californians will need to add nonresident supplemental tuition.
(B) Scholarships: The Sacramento Press Club offers annual scholarships to deserving undergraduates. These awards may be used to help offset costs associated with the UCCS Public-Affairs Journalism Program, such as fees and housing. For information on available scholarships, go here. For information on scholarship applications and eligibility requirements, go here.
(A) Check requirements
- Junior or senior standing preferred
- 3.0 GPA or above preferred
(B) Go to our application section for details.
Additional Info: Recent Guest Speakers & Past Internship Placements.
1. Recent Guest Speakers:
- Lowell Bergman, Pulitzer Prize and Emmy award-winning producer/reporter, PBS’ “Frontline” program
- Seth Mydans, South Asia correspondent, The New York Times
- Lou Cannon, noted biographer of Ronald Reagan
- Julian Do, co-director, New America Media
- Neil Henry, Dean, UC Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism
- Dan Weintraub, Founding Editor, California Health Report
- Dan Morain, columnist and reporter, The Sacramento Bee
- Donna Lucas, former Chief of Staff, First Lady Maria Shriver
- Mark Paul and Joe Matthews, co-authors, “California Crack-Up”
- Anthony York, founding editor, Capitol Weekly; reporter, Los Angeles Times
- William Hauck, president, California Business Roundtable
- Dan Schnur, former chairman, Fair Political Practices Commission
- Bill Boyarsky, former city editor, Los Angeles Times
- Gregory Favre, former executive editor, The Sacramento Bee
- Butch Ward, former managing editor, The Philadelphia Inquirer
2. Internship Placements: Placements are tailored to students’ interests, skills and background. More (PDF)
- Orange County Register
- San Francisco Chronicle
- Ventura County Star
- Riverside Press-Enterprise
- California Health Report
- Sacramento Press
- La Opinion
- The Sacramento Observer
- Capital Public Radio
- KQED Radio
- New America Media
- Capitol Weekly
- California Progress Report
- California Watch
- Cal Buzz Political Blog
- Eastern Group Publications of Los Angeles